Monday, August 22, 2011

Brownie & Me


I watched day by day as she carried a few items to her new home; confidently preparing for her future.  At times, she would drop a few things, but I knew she didn't want my help, so I silently watched.  Two weeks passed and there she was...my brown feathered friend. Ordinarily, I'm not a bird watcher, but what drew my attention to this bird is how she diligently built her nest.  She'd fly off and come back each time with more twigs, branches, feathers etc.  I thought to myself; "she leaves, not wondering if she'll find material, but expecting to find it." 
"Behold the fowls of the air: ..." Matthew 6:25
So, I beheld.  Another few weeks passed; lying in bed late one night, I heard this odd sound.  It sounded like a bird and a frog!  "She must be laying her eggs!" I thought excitedly.  The next morning I was at my window at first light, to see my brown feathered friend ("Brownie") seated in her nest; and so I beheld, waiting for the hatchlings arrival. 
What I learned while I watched and waited:
1.   Brownie prepared for her future diligently.  She didn't wait until she was ready to lay her eggs, but rather, she scouted the area and chose a safe, high place. "The thoughts of the diligent tend only to plenteousness; but of every one that is hasty only to want." (Proverbs 21:5)
2.   The place she chose was high above scavenger threats, shielded from the sun and storms - a hiding place.  "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 91:1)
I had several weeks with Brownie; she and her family taught me many things.   Visit us next week as I share more of Brownie & me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment