Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Brownie & Me II


When we were last together, I was sharing what I had learned from my feathered friend Brownie and her family. Brownie sat on her hatchlings for about 2 weeks, and then they arrived! I'm pretty sure I was more excited than Brownie. :) She had 4 hatchlings and it was really great to watch them grow.

So what did this feathered family teach me?

1. Brownie prepared for her future diligently. She didn't wait until she was ready to lay her eggs, but rather, she scouted the area and chose a safe, high place. "The thoughts of the diligent tend only to plenteousness; but of every one that is hasty only to want." (Proverbs 21:5)

2. The place she chose was high above scavenger threats, shielded from the sun and storms - a hiding place. "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 91:1)

3. Brownie was the only source of nourishment for her hatchlings. They simply sat comfortably in the nest with their mouths open wide and waited for her to come and feed them. "But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:19)

4. When it was time for the hatchlings to learn to fly, Brownie had a "little chat" with them. Actually, it was more like a coach yelling at their team, but it was effective! Brownie stood nearby, chirping loudly, as each hatchling took their first leap. "And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left." (Isaiah 30:21)

I learned a lot about my relationship with God by watching Brownie. The greatest lesson I have learned is; at times I must "Be still, and know that [He is] God: [He] will be exalted among the heathen, [He] will be exalted in the earth." (Psalm 46:10)

Brownie's nest remains where she built it as a reminder; if I begin to feel overwhelmed, I only need to sit comfortably and wait for my Father to feed me.  

"Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them.  Are ye not much better than they?" Matthew 6:26

No comments:

Post a Comment